Monday 17 November 2014

Ikea Hack- Dressing table inside PAX Wardrobe

The problem with my bedroom is that I don't have a lot of room, which means I have to create more space with clever ideas. I have created a dressing table and desk out of a wasted space inside my wardrobe (formerly used for a shelf for a tv). 

I have a Pax Wardrobe from Ikea, depending on the type of wardrobe you have and if its flexible with moving shelfs around I'm sure you can do this with any wardrobe. 

Items I used:

2x Komplement shelves from Ikea (75x35)
1x Lots mirrors from Ikea (30x30)
1x Adjustable Keyboard Shelf Drawer Slide 40cm from Homebase
1x Gift paper (got mine from Ikea in a pack of 3 but can use any of your choice)
1x Scrap wood cut to size 
1x foldable chair from Ikea


 This was my wardrobe before, as you can see the middle part was wasted space, therefore I dropped the white drawer so it sits on top of the clear drawers to create a larger area. I pulled out the shelf that is already there and attached the Adjustable Keyboard Shelf drawer Slide onto it, and then added one of the Komplement shelves onto the pull out drawer to create a pull out desk.

 Adding the shelf back into the wardrobe the space was created, so I then got my Gift Paper and used Wallpaper Glue to apply it to the side and back of the wardrobe. While wet you will still be able to feel the holes to add the other shelf. 

Putting the fixtures in the wall to hold the other Komplement shelf in, I realised that it did not fit perfectly therefore I had to drill my own holes into the wardrobe to hold the shelf.
Measuring the space between the bottom shelf and the top shelf and knowing the mirrors were 30cm each, I cut a piece of wood to the perfect size and fixed it in front of the middle shelf. I done this by affixing L brackets to the back of the wood and putting two screws into the middle shelf. 

After doing this I glued the mirrors to the wood with hard as nail glue which comes in a bottle similar to silicone. 

Thats all for the hardware part of it, next job is to put all your stuff back. 

This is the finished product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment